During my recent trip to Columbus Washboard Factory in Logan, Ohio, one of the highlights of the visit was discovering that part of their mission is to send free washboard kits to members of the armed services. This kit includes: a washtub, washboard, soap, clothesline, clothes pins, foot powder when available, and a set of instructions on “How to Use a Washboard”.
For some of you this instruction list will bring back memories of the past, while for others it may seem rather humorous compared to washing methods today. Notice the special suggested order for items to be washed. Not sure if I completely agree with this order, but it was the given instruction list. Maybe you will discover you have been washing things in the wrong order for years. Hope you enjoy the list!
Before you begin, there is a reminder that it is okay to wash laundry in cold water.
1) Put water in the tub until 3/4 full.
2) Put underwear into the water to soak.
3) Rest the soap bar at the top of the board.
4) Rub underwear over soap and then rub item vigorously on the metal rub surface. Repeat step 4 until item is clean.
5) Put shirts in water and repeat step 4 to clean.
6) Wash pants the same way.
7) Last item to wash would be your socks. Allow them to soak and then repeat step 4 many times.
8) Do not discard the water. Soak your feet for 20 minutes, it will feel sooo good!
9) Dry your feet, apply foot powder if available, clean socks and boots.
10) Discard dirty water, refill bucket and rinse items until no soap remains.
11) Wring out clothing items and pin on clothesline to dry.
12) We hope your laundry days are warm and breezy, and that you all come home safely – soon!
This list was developed by Columbus Washboard Factory, 14 Gallagher Ave, Logan, OH 43138.